We love nothing more than waking up to the smell of freshly brewed coffee to clear the morning haze, however, variety is the spice of life right? Why not try one of these alternative breakfast beverages to jump-start your morning routine once in a while. Running short on time? Pour some into one of your Pearl clear glass jars and take it to go!
1. Matcha Latte
Rather than give you the no-nonsense caffeine spike provided by coffee, matcha powders can provide up to six hours of sustained energy. Brimming with antioxidants, matcha also helps to detoxify naturally and boost metabolism. Still not convinced? Much like coffee, matcha can also boost brain energy, however, it can also help to calm the mind and relax the body. Did we mention, preparing it is easy? Check out one of our favourite recipes here for a vegan take on the morning matcha latte, courtesy of the Minimalist Baker.
1 1/4 tsp Matcha powder
1 Tbsp Maple syrup (to taste)
1 Tbsp Hot water
3/4 cup light coconut milk
3/4 cup Macadamia nut milk (or nut milk of your choice)
1. Add matcha powder to your cup along with sweetener of choice and hot water.
2. Whisk with a bamboo whisk or a metal whisk until completely dissolved. If you don’t have a bamboo whisk, you can use a spoon or a metal whisk or even blend the latte in a blender.
3. Once the matcha is completely dissolved, heat* your coconut and macadamia milk (or other dairy-free kinds of milk).
4. Pour dairy-free milk into your mug or glass jar – latte art optional!
2. Morning Maca
A caffeine-free superfood and adaptogenic, Maca boasts a range of benefits that are sure to help you put your best foot forward first thing in the morning. Maca is known to not only boost energy and mood but is also recognised for helping to regulate a healthy hormonal balance and natural liver detoxification. Maca can be enjoyed in smoothies, mixed with hot cacao or also added to your morning matcha latte for an extra kick! We love this simple, warm maca recipe that needs just four ingredients to be enjoyed.
1 teaspoon maca powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon coconut sugar
1 ½ Cup of Nut Milk of your choice (we like Cashew or hazelnut)
1. In a small bowl combine the Maca powder and coconut sugar
2. In a pot over the stove, combine this powder with the milk
3. Slowly bring the mixture to the boil until it begins to foam
4. Pour slowly into your favorite mug and enjoy!
3. Green Juice Goodness
Let’s face it, there are some mornings where the first thing you crave is a kick to your wellbeing and nutrition that coffee can’t quite compare to. faithful green juice. Often a meal in itself, sometimes you just need a green juice to go and you can rest assured that your morning wellness is in good hands. We like ours with an extra zest of ginger and squeeze of fresh lemon to give us an extra wake-up call.
3 green apples (we use granny smith)
2 stalks of celery
2 inches of fresh ginger
1 handful of spinach
1 handful of fresh mint leaves
4 ice cubes, for serving
Chia or sesame seeds
1. Place all the ingredients in a blender and pour immediately over ice to serve
2. Garnish with chia or sesame seeds on top
Buy mason jars to prepare and store your favorite coffee alternatives.
Check here our Mason Jars Shop.